[Zope] Linux Expo - Community Portals - The future

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Sun, 2 May 1999 00:33:12 -0400

On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 06:38:54PM -0400, Paul Everitt wrote:

> > *Are any Zopesters or DigiCool folks going to Linux Expo?
> > The only note from the Zope list: Tom Jenkins is going.
>
> Sorry, perhaps I wasn't terribly clear.  Digital Creations will have a
> Zope booth at Linux Expo.  Many of us are going down for Wed-Sat.  I'm
> speaking on Saturday.

As part of my new singing and dancing career with DC, I'll be present
Th-Sat as a <polically incorrect>booth bimbo</politically incorrect>.

Feel free to stop by and taunt all of us!  Well, not Robb, he bites. :-)

> Hmm, I'm not sure if the "Community" part is going to stick or not.  Our
> portal story is about collaboration, which sounds better than community.

Community for many people, I believe, is more "non profit" than the
general portal market.  The largest untapped market I believe for the
portal environment is business portals, both internal and extranet
based.

> Anyway, as Brian mentioned, we are focusing on search, directory, news,
> and membership.  Directory isn't getting a lot of attention, although
> the Catalog provides a bit of directory kinds of organization.

Well, also it depends on what kind of directory you mean.  An LDAP
interface, where it to exist, would give one access to all kinds of
interesting information. :-)

Chris