[Zope] Installation and tutorial problems

Robert Leftwich robert@leftfieldcorp.com
Fri, 7 May 1999 22:05:16 +1000

On Friday, 7 May 1999 19:32, Graham Chiu [SMTP:anon_emouse@hotmail.com]
wrote:
> I've just downloaded zope, but seem unable to get it going with my
> currently installed web server - Jigsaw from www.w3c.org
>
> However, when I try to run it,
>
> http://localhost:8001/zope/zope1.11.0pr1.exe/
>
> I get the following error:
>
> CGI script emited invalid status.

I can't help with this problem. Anyone else ?

> I can run it using the packaged python web server.
>
> In the tutorial, when I try to add the date property to the main folder
> of the demo site, I get the following error:
>
> Zope Error
>
>            Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
>
>            exceptions.KeyError
>
>            Sorry, a Zope error occurred.
>
> It accepts it as a string property.

This is probably a result of the DateTime.py class either not having your
timezone setup or it only being setup partially i.e. missing the full
timezone name reported by some operating systems.

If you run Python standalone and type the following :

import time
print time.tzname

it will report your current timezone. If you cannot get Python to run
standalone then use the following as an external method :

import time

def getTimeZone():
   return time.tzname

After creating a new external method, use the Try It tab to view the
resulting timezone.

If you then open the DateTime.py file (found in "[your zope
install]\lib\python\DateTime\DateTime.py"), goto the _zmap on line 186 and
search for the timezone reported above.
If it is not present then add a line similar to the following (which I have
added to my DateTime.py):
'AUS Eastern Standard Time':'aest'
and the lowercase version
'aus eastern standard time':'aest'
where the key is the timezone string reported previously and aest is the
abbreviated timezone of your area (the following New Zealand times are
defined NZT, NZDT, NZST - if none of these are correct then add one in a
similar format to 'nzdt':'GMT+13' where the GMT+13 represents the
difference from Greenwich Mean Time in hours).
Save the file, shutdown Zope and restart it.
This should fix the problem.

Robert Leftwich