[Zope] Zope with MSSQL under Linux?

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Mon, 10 May 1999 02:23:00 +0200

Has anybody used Zope with MS SQL Server under Linux?

I was hoping that perhaps the ZSybaseDA thing would work (MSSQL, being
based on Sybase, is generally compatible on protocol level), but it
requires an OpenLink ODBC driver, which as far as I know is a commercial
product.

Could the ODBC DA theoretically support ODBC drivers under Linux? There
are several open-source ODBC projects underway (such as unixODBC),
albeit none -- that I know -- with MSSQL support. ODBC is not as widely
supported on UNIX as on Windows, and the idea that you actually have to
go buy an ODBC driver for your database product is ridiculous at best.
Oracle only provides ODBC drivers for Windows, for example, which is
just sad.

So far I'm very happy with Zope and MSSQL/ODBC on Win32, but if
installing Zope on a Linux box means I must be content with using MySQL
or mSQL, or buying several pieces of commercial software, I'm not doing
it.

Alexander Staubo
http://www.mop.no/~alex/
mailto:redhand@mop.no