[Zope] ZClasses

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:27:54 +0200

At 14:47 11/05/99 , Tom Deprez wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I find it very great that now I can make my own Z Objects very easely. I'm
>only not so sure when to use ZClasses. Pardon me, for questioning this, but
>it seems that I still don't have the right view for working with Zope and
>it's Classes.
>
>I can imaging that using ZClasses is great for people working on the Zope
>web application. Correct? But, I don't see any possibilities to let end
>users, use ZClasses. But, I guess, I'm again wrong on that point.
>
>Can somebody clearefy my mind about this with an example :
>
>I take the example Amos gave : i.e. The CDProduct ZClass.
>
>We've created it, so now it's pretty easy to create a Z CDProduct all over
>the Zope web application. But how can you use this for the end-users.
>
>Let's say, I want to be able to let people enter CD's into a database. Then
>Z Classes aren't usable? Do you then have to create forms like we do now?
>
>Isn't it possible to let the user browse to a ZClass, the ZClass
>automatically creates a form which the user then can fill in. The data is
>sended back and a database is updated. I've read the Trinkets tutorial, but
>I don't understand it quiet well... Can you store ZClasses with a container?
>
>Tom.

With ZClasses, you can create products, almost just like you could with
Python. Only now you can do it through the web, without access to the
filesystem. And the process is just more visual, less error prone.

If you don't let end-users build products using Python, you don't have them
building them using ZClasses. The end-product of your laborous ZClass
tinkering, can be used like any other product though. So, if you let
end-users create Confera Topics (a product), you could also let them create
products based upon ZClasses.

Wether or not you let them use the Zope management interface, or create a
new, feeble newbie friendlier version, is up to you. You can create
instances of ZClass based products using DTML just as easy (or hard) as you
can create Python based products with said DTML. When you use the latest
CVS version of ZClasses, Zope will create the necessary DTML methods and a
Factory object for you, when you create a ZClass. Just call the creation
DTML Method that was created for you, on the Folder where you want to
create the object, and hey presto, you have a new instance.

Yes, ZClass objects can be containers, acting like Folders, or not. You can
decide what objects can be added to these containers, be it specialized new
ZClasses, or other products.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer