[Zope] Database error - cannot lock

Tom Jenkins TomJenkins@zentuit.com
Thu, 13 May 1999 12:11:44 -0400

Hello All,
I've been out for 2 weeks so I'm just now getting to followup on a
message by Alan Johnston.  To recap... I installed zope on the new
webserver and verified it was working fine.  Then we let it sit while we
got ready to move the old IIS/frontpage web site over to a zope (and
zap) based one.

Now when we got ready to move it, surprise!, zope wouldn't run.  We'd
get the following error in the pcgi.log : "DatabaseError: Could not lock
the database file.  There must be another process that has opened the
file."  Alan posted a question on this for me and Bob OConnor answered
that it sounded to him to be a file attributes problem.

We start zope through an /etc/rc.d/init.d startup script (which calls the
zope start script.  So I believe we're starting zope (and zap) as root so
the user should be nobody, correct?  What about the group?

What are the correct file permissions for the var directory and the files in
the var directory?

Thanks for any suggestions you can think of...

Tom Jenkins                    DevIS (http://www.devis.com)
python is executable pseudo-code; perl is executable line-noise