[Zope] Database error - cannot lock

Tom Jenkins TomJenkins@zentuit.com
Thu, 13 May 1999 13:43:06 -0400

Well, I figured it out and it was a really dumb mistake.  The answer is:
don't start zope, let the webserver do it <g>.  I added a zope startup
script in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory with the really bright idea that
having it started would cut down on the apache --> zope connection
time; totally missing the point that apache starts zope.  So when
apache tried to start zope there was already a zope running, and the
database was locked by this other process.

> Now when we got ready to move it, surprise!, zope wouldn't run.  We'd
> get the following error in the pcgi.log : "DatabaseError: Could not lock
> the database file.  There must be another process that has opened the
> file."  Alan posted a question on this for me and Bob OConnor answered
> that it sounded to him to be a file attributes problem.
>
> We start zope through an /etc/rc.d/init.d startup script (which calls the
> zope start script.  So I believe we're starting zope (and zap) as root so
> the user should be nobody, correct?  What about the group?

Tom Jenkins                    DevIS (http://www.devis.com)
python is executable pseudo-code; perl is executable line-noise