[Zope] FYI: Zope mentioned again on scripting news

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Thu, 13 May 1999 18:31:03 -0400

> > I guess Dave will also be glad to here about the Zope 2
> alpha next week
> > since it should improve Zope's scalability story a fair amount ;-)
> >
> > -Amos
> >
> Amos,
> I reckon that I'll get told 'it depends' :) but can you give
> us an idea of what the Zope 2 release means in terms of
> features/throughput etc for folk using the 1.10 release?

Well, my understanding is that the main feature of Zope 2 will be ZODB
3.

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Models/ZODB

This new object database architecture will allow concurrency in Zope
request handling. Basically this means Zope will be multi-threaded. Also
you will have more options for storing your Zope data, such as storing
it in a RDMS.

The upshot of these changes will be improved performance and improved
scalability.

You may even see exotic things like multiple Zope processes sharing one
object database for load balancing or failover. But I'm not making any
promises along these lines ;-)

So in sum, Zope 2 means a more robust back end, not more user-visible
bells and whistles.

Of course, you should remember that the impending Zope 2 release will be
an alpha source release. So don't switch immediately if you value
stability.

-Amos