[Zope] ZServer Problems

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Fri, 14 May 1999 11:26:52 -0400

> I  have ZServer up and running on both Solaris 2.6 and Linux.
>
> I can get it to serve pages doing http and pcgi through
> Netscape Enterprise
> Server.
>
> WebDAV works when done through ZServer, but not Enterprise
> Server. I thought
> I had read somewhere that this would work regardless of the
> web server being
> used (but I have not the slightest idea why it should).

Well, you sure didn't read that here! :^)  WebDAV support is
totally at the mercy of the server you use, since it is a
web server's perogative to refuse to pass through HTTP methods
that it doesn't understand. I'm pretty well certain that DAV
just plain won't work correctly under NS servers of any kind.

ZServer is the best way to get DAV working with a minimum of
fuss (as you've found out). Even Apache requires a (one-line)
patch to let back-end applications handle OPTIONS requests,
a requirement for correct WebDAV functionality. I'll be submitting
that patch for inclusion in the next Apache iteration after the
Linux Expo.

> I have noticed that both on Solaris and Linux, I can ftp to
> the ZServer and
> create folders, but I cannot change to nor see the folders
> and files already
> there.
>
> What am I missing?

I'll have to defer to Amos on this one...

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909