[Zope] Disable Undo (was: ZClass hitCounter)

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:40:00 -0400

"Itamar S.-T." wrote:

> Pavlos Christoforou wrote:
>
> > > Because the object database stores revisions of
> > > objects, each new inciment of the property will append a new revision on
> > > the ned of the database.  For a million hit per day website, this means
> > > a million new objects will be added to the database.  Definately
> > > performance prohibitive.
> >
> > A simple solution is to write an external method that sores the counter
> > value in a regular file, lets say in the Zope/var directory.
>
> Maybe there should be some way to disable storing of old versions of an
> object, where Undo isn't necessary?  The Gimp for example has a similar
> command.

In Zope 2, there will (eventually, not initially, but not to long from
now :) be an option for using multiple databases in a Zope site.  You'll
be able to combine databases designed to support undo (e.g. FileStorage)
with databases that don't support undo and handle fast changing data
better (e.g. dbmStorage, DCOracleSimpleStorage, etc.).

There is a similar issue with versions.

Jim

repeats.