[Zope] Expanding the User Object

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Sat, 22 May 1999 22:26:27 -0400

> hi y'all!

Outlook is Evil, now I feel better ;-)

> in a product we need to store a lot of data for a user, while still having
> to apply zope's access control features to it. it seems like we can not
> add our own objects (which are derived from accesscontrol.user.user) to
> the acl_users folder. are we doing something wrong or is there a work
> around or do we really have to store two different objects to achieve this
> goal?

Oh it gets better than you imagined.  With the Zope Portal Toolkit, we're
introducing the concept of "membership management," which is built in
ZClasses, which allow you to dynamically extend the properties of members
(ney users) without any modifications to your existing database, or even
writing a line of code.

This is very cool, and blew away a bunch of people during Linux Expo... All
you have to do is go to the "Property Sheet" and add a new property, and now
it's there for everyone :-)

Stay tuned for the first release of the toolkit in early June.

Chris