[Zope] ZODB and large data sets

Howard Clinton Shaw III shawh@sths.org
Tue, 25 May 1999 09:37:16 -0500

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Paul Crowley wrote:
> Howard Clinton Shaw III <shawh@sths.org> writes:
> > Currently, Zope 1 uses a single file to store its data. That means
> > that it is subject to the ext2 fs limit of 2gb on 32 bit systems. On
> > an alpha, no such limit (ok, there is, but its on the order of 8
> > million terabytes),
>
> Um.  Are you saying that Alpha-based Linux systems write their
> filesystems in a 64-bit way that 32-bit x86-based systems can't
> read?  I don't think this is true: I'm under the impression that if a
> disk is formatted ext2 than any Linux system, of whatever
> architecture, can read and write it, implying that the limitations are
> cross-platform too.

To the best of my knowledge, the ext2 filesystem on 64bit architectures can handle
filesizes of 2^63. I know nothing of any compatabiltiy or incompatability that might result
thereby.

Here is a reference that mentions it, and seems to indicate that it does require a patch, but
that the patch is in 2.2+.

http://www.miscellaneous.net/linux/linux-admin-FAQ/Linux-Admin-FAQ-10.html -

10.1 What is the maximum size of a single file under Linux?

That depends on the file system you're running on. The Ext2,Mimix,Ext filesystems on 32bit platform can store files up to 2Gb. On 64bit platforms (Alpha, UltraSparcs) Jakub Jelinek has
provided patch to allow files greater that 2Gb which should be in 2.2.

> Bear in mind also that Zope runs on platforms other than Linux...

To the best of my knowledge, Houchin was asking about running Zope on a RedHat platform.