[Zope] OT: Help a newbie install Zope 2.0!

Michael Bernstein mbernstein@profitscape.net
Wed, 26 May 1999 09:01:23 -0700

Chris Petrilli wrote:

> > [Question about newbie installing 2.0alpha]
>
> For the same reason that we will *not* provide binaries of the alpha
> releases (and may only provide them for later betas and "release
> candidates"), alpha are certainly not a good place to start for someone
> new to Zope, especially if you do not have extensive experience with
> Python and whatever platform you are running on.

Hmm, I realize this, but, although I am a newbie on Linux and Python, I
_have_ been playing with Zope for a while now (I'm the original author
of the global tree-tag navigation howto) on NT. I figured though that
compiling Zope on Linux would probably be a lot cleaner, as that's the
platform you do your development on.

> This only begs to have
> all kinds of problems related to issues outside our control.

This was why I decided to install on an unmodified RedHat machine, so as
to minimize those issues.

> I would recommend you start with 1.10.2, as there is plenty in there to
> get your head wrapped around before delving into the new features of 2.0
> ... even once 2.0 is RELEASED, it is still a x.0 release, and therefore
> is really only for those people who NEED to be on the bleeding edge
> (i.e. because they'll need ZClasses, or some such), rather than a
> general populace release.

Yup, got it in one! I _have_ been using 1.10.2, and I _do_ need that
extra functionality.

Thank you for your attention,

Michael Bernstein.