[Zope] To Zope or Not To Zope?

alex@mop.no alex@mop.no
Wed, 26 May 1999 23:37:17 +0200

>> Maybe you should consider stratifying your product line into
>"free" and
>> "subscription". If I join the Zope Gold Club for $500/year, I get all
>> your heavy-duty client/server stuff for free. Sort of a "fixed rate"
>> thing.
>
>Digicool is offering to give you stuff for free, and you want
>to pay for
>it?  I think you're kinda missing the point of the OpenSource model -
>selling support, expertise, and "the feature you requested
>goes in FIRST
>since you paid", not software as such.

Well, Paul wrote:

 Paul> It's likely that the part that stores data in the relational
database
 Paul> might start out commercial, as well as the client-server version
of
 Paul> the object database.

In other words, commercial = they're probably going to sell Zope
extensions. I didn't say I wanted to pay for something that is free.

>The problem with Microsoft isn't their prices - it's that
>their software is closed and proprietary.

That's one problem, the other is that they ask outrageous sums of money
for it, and for providing support for the product that you splashed your
hard-earned, lovely money onto. In this country MS Support asks for $400
for one -- that's ONE! -- support question. (Which, by the way, is one
reason we simply don't call MS Support.) This is for a product that cost
$1000. No wonder Microsoft speaks of "Total Cost of Ownership" -- they
know, because they defined it.

Yeah, open source software is great. Frankly I'm surprised there's
anything _but_ open source software.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"In the end, we all assume room temperature." --John Maynard Keynes