[Zope] Zope.org site text should wrap

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:52:59 -0500

From: Phil Harris <phil@wigwamweb.net>

>There was a mighty long discussion about this some time ago, search the
>archives.
>
>It seems there is good reason for the text not to wrap.

Must have been before I joined.  But I don't agree that text shouldn't wrap.
Sure, <PRE>-formatted code samples should be left formatted as is, but I mean
regular text.  For example, in the main zope.org page, the middle column with
"Welcome to Zope.org" should be allowed to wrap, but it doesn't.  So the
navigation bars and the text in the right hand column get truncated when you
make your browser window a little narrow (not even excessively).

I normally keep my browser at less than full screen (1024X768 resolution) and
many people still use 800X600. Also, people set their browsers for different
font sizes.  Depending on your browser, these settings may or may not change the
css font sizes.  So it is not unlikely for people to experience truncated text.
I don't think there is any "good reason" for this behavior. I also think that
irritating aspects of a site tend to unconsciously reduce peoples' estimate of
the competence of the product or its designers.  So I think the main templates
should be changed to reduce the chances of getting truncated text. I don't think
this will interfere with the basic design of the template system for zope.org.
I also don't mean to knock the designers of the site.

I'd like to acknowlege them for their hard work on the site.  I know it doesn't
come easily!

Tom Passin