[Zope] Pointer-to-Object Properties (Was: Altering product instance changes all instances!)

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:52:17 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Michael Bernstein wrote:

> were sub objects, thus enabling one-to-many, many-to-one, and many-to-many
> relationships not constrained by the object heirarchy.

Yes! That would be very useful and I remember that this issue came up more
than once on the list. A few questions though ...

What happens if you delete an object that is pointed to? Should the links
be deleted too? If yes should they be deleted automatically or in a semi
automatic way, similar to pack.

If a link to an object is called is it rendered in the context of the
calling method?

How do you deal with circular references? (ZODB has no problem with that
but what if you have:

a.c points to a.b

a.b has
<dtml-var "a.c">

with acquisition such a situation is not improbable.

Regards

Pavlos