[Zope] just another idea

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 11:28:37 +0100

Clarence wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> This may sound like a dumb idea for a product, but I believe that it has
> some uses for bringing more people to using Zope. This type of product
> would open up Zope to users who do not understand HTML but understand
> the point and click of a wysiwyg Word Processor/HTML editor.  There is
> some software availible for this type of work, but it only runs on MS
> IIS/MS SQL Server (I do not know if there are any other aps which do
> this).
>
> Currently, it takes a Zope-master to create a Zope website.  HTML gurus
> and SQL gurus can add to a Zope website, but what happens to
> organizations who don't have any of the above staff.  They can't use
> Zope because it requires more skill than they will ever learn.  (Yes
> non-computer users can create stuff with a wysiwyg editor and ftp the
> html into the ZODB, but someone has to create a website out of the
> objects.)
>
> The concept for this product involves giving non-computer people the
> ability to produce web pages kind of like a wysiwyg editor but with a
> web browser.  Non-computer people need a web interface which will allow
> them to generate a basic web page similar to the way Zope allows a
> Zope-master to produce a complete website.

[snip]

This is one of the things I'm developing XMLWidgets for. Included with
the latest release of XMLWidgets is a demo of a web based wysiwyg style
editor. It's very simple, though, and still quite buggy. Currently my
development on XMLWidgets and the editor has been put in the freezer as
I focus on other stuff, but feel free to download it and take a look.
Any input on it is very welcome!

More information and donwload is here:

http://www.zope.org/Members/faassen/XMLWidgets

Regards,