[Zope] Java Port

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 16:03:26 -0500

At 12:12 PM 11/3/99 -0800, Joe Grace wrote:
>Awesome post.  Thanks.  And ouch.
>
>Sounds like heavy lifting.  That bytecode stuff sounds sticky (hadn't even
heard
>of that low a level of stuff before).  I still think its an obvious win,
but I can
>see where it may just be way hard.

Some easier wins might be to:

* Make a Java servlet that can funnel requests to Zope via PCGI or FastCGI

* Make a Zope Product that can run servlets or other Java classes via JNI
(there already exist some C-based interfaces to Java from Python)

These could provide the desired Java interoperability without requiring a
rewrite of Zope proper.  Sure, it's not "100% Java", but as somebody else
has pointed out, CPython can run pretty much anywhere Java can anyhow.