[Zope] FYI: Zope.org web site outage

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:21:32 -0500

Hi,

Some of you may have noticed that the Zope.org web site was down for a
little while this afternoon. I apologize for the inconvenience. We
believe that the problem is completely nailed now, and we don't
anticipate any more outages. Thanks for bearing with us.

Our problems stemmed from using the latest and greatest CVS snapshots
for Zope.org, rather than waiting for a solid release before migrating
the site.

We wanted to use exciting new Zope features on the Zope.org web site
because the site is a showcase for new Zope advancements and because we
wanted it to be as cool and high performance as possible. Unfortunately
we ran across a bug which was quickly fixed but which caused after
effects which continued to dog the site until we fixed them today. The
problem had to do with the pickling of objects which should not be
pickled.

Now that the Zope.org site is running fairly well, and many folks are
using it, we can reprioritize Zope.org towards stability. In the future
we plan to run Zope.org on stable released versions of Zope.

Thanks for your understanding.

-Amos

P.S. If you experience any problems with the Zope.org site, please let
us know at webmaster@zope.org

--
Amos Latteier         mailto:amos@digicool.com
Digital Creations     http://www.digicool.com