[Zope] Zope Lecture & NLUUG report

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 17:44:53 +0100

Hi Zopistas,

Yesterday I gave a 'Technical introduction to Zope' at the autumn
conference of the NLUUG, the Dutch UNIX Users Group, a little tour of Zope
in only 45 minutes.

Although it was my first time presenting before a live audience (ever gave
your first before a ~150 seat cinema hall?), the story came across, and
many asked questions and came to have a chat with me afterwards.

I spoke to many interesting and influential people there, here's a summary:

- I asked Jack Janssen, maintainer of MacPython, about MacZope.
Unfortunately, MacPython 1.5.2 is build upon CWGUSI 1.x, which means that
it will not do threads! Jack is short of time right now, and is looking for
someone to move MacPython to CWGUSI 2. It then should be quite easy to do a
MacZope.

- I also had a chat with Emile Heyns, one of the core developers of
Midgard. He revealed to me that the Midgard team is looking at Zope a lot,
they think certain ideas are very cool and want to do them too. The
O'Reilly book deal has them now looking for a publisher as well. =)

- Jordan K. Hubbard of the FreeBSD project couldn't tell me wether or not
they are bundling Zope with their distribution yet, but a Dutch FreeBSD
user said he was pretty sure he had seen it on the commit list, meaning it
will be with the next incarnation of FreeBSD.

- Colin Tenwick, GM of Red Hat Europe, announced that Red Hat will
soon  provide support for other Open Source software, depending on
popularity and/or being a good alternative to proprietary software. Zope
might be a candidate. He also gave me the name of the guy in charge of
building the RedHat Europe website. Now all I need to do is convince him to
use Zope.

- And last but not least, I had a great time with Peter Honeywell, of the
Linux Scalability Project, and a whole list of other titles, including
secretary of USENIX. He's one cool gadgeteer. His Palm V sports a homemade
chipcard reader that enabled him to hack my charge-card. He was surprised
to hear there's a global lock in Python, and he thinks it'll be hard to get
rid of that. Support for multiple processors is not something Python is
good at.

A very successful day indeed.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer