[Zope] ZCatalog'ing a Web Site

Jeff Rush Jeff Rush" <jrush@timecastle.net
Mon, 08 Nov 99 15:58:25 -0500

On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 14:51:43 -0500, Michel Pelletier wrote:
>Jeff Rush wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 11:11:03 -0500, Michel Pelletier wrote:
>> >
>> >The objects index/re-index/un-index themselves if they are created,
>> >edited, or destroyed.  Thus, ZCatalog is used programatically.
>>
>> Those that are ZCatalogAware, sure, but what about the basic
>> Zope objects that aren't.  ExternalMethods, DTML*, and such
>> don't inherit from ZCatalogAware so how are they kept up-to-date
>> in the index?  Have they acquired special methods you've written
>> that make them self-indexing?
>
>Nope, they simply aren't used.  We punted on the idea of adding
>catalogability to the stock Zope objects, it could break lots of stuff.
>Instead, we decided it would be better to develop the infrastructure to
>develop catalog aware objects.  This is still pretty early in the game,
>no set infrastructure has been realized yet.  Many of the elaborations
>of the PTK address this issue.

Hmmm, so would this explain R. David's inability to find certain
documents on zope.org via the search engine?  Basically any
member DTML Documents on a topic would not be found?

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:16:40 -0500 (EST), R. David Murray wrote:

>Now, I haven't gotten too far through the docs yet, where I'm sure
>this stuff is explained, but I wanted to get a couple things up
>and running quickly.  So I figured, well, I'll just search the
>zope.org site for that variable to find out how to reference it
>correctly.
>
>No matches.
>
>Well, maybe that's not the right name...but, I should have gotten
>*one* match, on Evan's document where I read about it, right?  So
>is something wrong with the search function on zope.org?  Or
>am I not understanding what is indexed (in which case the search
>page could use some explanatory text)?

If so, perhaps the search page could benefit from rewording.

>PS try to get those bug reports in before 2.1 goes final. ;)

I'm trying.... <grin>  I've got several I've been sitting on until I could
prove/document them.  Don't release 2.1 _too_ soon.

-Jeff Rush