[Zope] Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock'

Richard Taylor R.Taylor@eris.dera.gov.uk
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:03:14 +0000

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> At 01:37 09/11/99 , Evan Gibson wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 01:53:28AM +0200, Teemu Yli-Elsilä wrote:
> > > Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock' in <method
> > > Transaction.__del__ of Transaction instance at 8529f20> ignored
> > > Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock' in <method
> > > Transaction.__del__ of Transaction instance at 8539ed0> ignored
> > > Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock' in <method
> > > Transaction.__del__ of Transaction instance at 850eb68> ignored
> >
> >I get this all the time too, but since everything else seemed to be working
> >I hadn't got around to looking at it yet.
> >
> >Has anyone who's seen this worked out what's happening?
>
> I had never seen this until a customer of ours sent the exact same error
> messages to me yesterday. Everything works fine, except for that. I was
> planning to look deeper into the cause of this today.
>
> They occur when one method calls a Z SQL Method (to insert a row into a
> PostgreSQL DB), and sends an email using a MailHost object.
>
> The log states:
>
> NOTICE: UserAbortTransactionBlock and not in in-progress state
> Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock' in <method
> Transaction.__del__ of Transaction instance at 84db300> ignored
> NOTICE: UserAbortTransactionBlock and not in in-progress state
> Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock' in <method
> Transaction.__del__ of Transaction instance at 84fc168> ignored
> NOTICE: UserAbortTransactionBlock and not in in-progress state
> Exception ThreadLock.error: 'release unlocked lock' in <method
> Transaction.__del__ of Transaction instance at 8530350> ignored
>
> The customer also reports that an extra thread appears.. (? He says there
> is an extra z2.py, but as he runs Linux, that's probably an extra thread).
>
> Although apparently not harmful, I do suspect that eventually the process
> will run out of threads.

I see this error message also and in the same sort of circumstance i.e.
Z SQL Method (inserting a row in a PostgreSQL DB) followed by a 'sendmail'
element (used to send mail directly) rather than a MailHost object call.

I have not had time to play around (i.e. take out the sendmail and see if it
still works) so I can't add anymore.

I have not seen any other side affects apart from new 'thread' being created as
described above (yet).

I imported my Zope site into Zope2 from a Zope1 setup, is this common amongst
those that see this error message?

Richard