[Zope] What about Postgresql as a viable database?

Thilo Mezger thilo@gonzo.innominate.local
10 Nov 1999 07:57:17 GMT

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop <zen@cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote:

> My impression was PostgreSQL was that its main acceptance problem
> was lack of marketing. If I had to ship a product tied to an
> no-cost RDBMS I'd go with PostgreSQL or possibly Gadfly (havn't looked
> into its feature set).

yep, IMHO postgresql is the best open-source database.  ok, mysql is a
lot faster but then it lacks important sql-features (triggers,
transactions, etc.) and it's not even open-source/gpl.  gadfly is a
little bit too simple for as it only implements a very small subset of
sql92.

i can only recommend postgresql-6.5.2 if you need an open-source
no-cost database for some projects.

try to keep your sql as standard as possible because then you can
switch to oracle by simple replacing the zpostgresda by zoracleda...

thilo

--
mezger@innominate.de
                                                        innominate AG