[Zope] Summary of DB Discussion

Karl Fast Karl Fast <karl.fast@pobox.com>
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:21:14 -0600

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 09:46:43AM -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 06:31 PM 11/9/99 -0600, Karl Fast wrote:
> >
> > - Despite it's lack of transaction support, it was agreed that MySQL
> >     (a) is popular
> >     (b) is very fast and a good choice for sites that do high volume
> >         queries, but relatively simple and low-volume updates
> >     (c) will be getting transaction support "real soon now" according
> >         to the web site
> >     (d) should have a good, up to date, Zope DA
> >

> Could anyone point out where the "real soon now" is on the site?  Every
> time I've ever looked at the site it has said that they have no plans to
> implement fully ACID transactions, ever.

This page has a list of things they want to do, broken down into 3 sections:

 1. Things that must be done in the real near future
 2. Things that have to be done sometime
 3. Something we don't have any plans to do

 http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_TODO.html#TODO

Under #1 the first two items are "one way replication" and "transactions"

Under #3 there is only one entry:

  "Transactions with rollback (we mainly do SELECTs, and because we don't do
  transactions, we can be much quicker on everything else). We will support
  some kind of atomic operations on multiple tables, though. Currently
  atomic operations can be done with LOCK TABLES/UNLOCK TABLES but we will
  make this more automatic in the future."

Karl Fast