[Zope] Re: ZSQL Cacheing

Evan Gibson egibson@connect.com.au
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:35:55 +1100

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 09:53:06PM -0500, Rob Page wrote:
> > Do the queries  i.e.   sql.get_skin(username='default')
> > cache only for that given set of inputs? Or do they cache
> > regardless of the inputs? Because we have seen some evidence that the
> > result returned doesn't always change even when the username does and
> it _should_ have
> > to go look it up again.
>
> IIRC from earlier investigations and presentations from Jim et al the
> cacheing data structure is keyed on the rendered string of SQL that is
> sent to the RDBMS.  There are probably some zany dynamic SQL queries
> that could render the same query string for different input values.  If
> the rendered string is different then the expected behavior is that the
> cache would miss causing Zope to reissue the query to the RDBMS.

No the string would be the same... Hmmm... Ok, that mustn't be it, must
be some other caching level that's stuffing up. (Problem with having
Zope+Database+Proxy+Browser... Too many fingers messing about with
caching.)
I'll try to find more specific examples of what's happening and come back
to it then.

--
  Evan ~ThunderFoot~ Gibson    ~ nihil mutatem, omni deletum ~
      May the machines watch over you with loving grace.