[Zope] Looking for Python.Zope programmer in Europe: {France/Italy}

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:31:07 +0100

Hello

This is a preliminary message-in-a-bottle post...

1. Intro

I am looking for a Python.Zope programmer to work with me on a creating a
dynamic 'smart-map' web site for an e-commerce maritime r&d project. The
site will need to manage special on-line interactive calendar featuring
schematics of routes, progress and shipping schedule.

2. To-Do

Skills/tasks will involve:
- linking to existing database of shipping information,
- creating new project database,
- linking to GIS,
- rendering interactive graphics for calendar and routes,
- general zope site design and construction.
- Linux web server setup (Zserver/Roxen/Apache/??) and Zope connectivity

3. Python

Python skills/tasks may involve:
- Zope External Methods relating to the following:
- linking to GIS tools
[considering to use Manifold System at present because of low-cost high
feature set. It is a very good product but alas only runs on Win32. This
may not be problem as we can use win32com Python extensions.
http://www.manifold.net  ]
- building win32com components if needed to allow fast prototyping and
connecting with other off-the-shelf software
- generating, rendering and converting of graphics in vector format:
[possible candidate formats = Flash4, SVG (see my previous posts)]
- possible Python extensions using 'C' libraries
[openSWF Flash, SVG, Hipparchus]

4. Vague ??
The first phase of the project will answer many specifics when we meet with
end users and learn about their present data use, methods of work,
information flow, so we can map these against our overall project design
goals.

Although the project focuses on maritime transport, we want to approach as
an inter-modal transport project and anticipate to develop modules/products
which could be applied more widely.

5. Context
The context is an EC sponsored R&D project called 'DOLPHINS' under the
'IST' 5th Framework Programme
See http://www.cordis.lu for more about IST and other programmes
The main partners/participants based in:
{'Italy': ['Napoli', 'Livorno'], 'France': ['Seillans', 'Sophia
Antipolis'], 'Spain: ['Valencia']}

6. Status
We are still awaiting final confirmation of contract, but anticipate
kickoff around 25th January, 2000. The main Python.Zope development work is
during first 6 months. though the project itself is an 18 month duration
(field trials).

7. Location
Most of the work could be done remotely on-line, but in my experience
important brainstorming, design work and review should be done based on
personal contact initially. This would mean travel to South of France (1
hour from Nice) and staying here to work with me for a couple of weeks.
(expenses paid).

8. Language
I am English but speak pretty fluent French. Knowledge of Italian woudl be
helpful but by no means esential.
Python.Zope is :-)

9. Conditions
I am looking for a programmer to work full time during the first analysis
/development phase and then participate occasionally [ongoing] for a few
days around later milestones, covering installation, debugging, trainging,
preparation of deliverables including documentation, reports, final
exploitation plans. This last point is important. EC projects encourage
partners to produce commercial products after the R&D trial are concluded.
If you are interested to develop intermodal e-commerce 'Dolphins' may offer
a useful opportunity for skills and market.

I also believe it is a good context to promote the use of Python.Zope

10. About 'Dolphins'
The aim of 'Dolphins' is to develop new short-sea-shipping business through
e-commerce tools. In particular we hope to reduce heavy truck traffic on
European roads by making it easier for shippers, agents and others to send
cargo by ship instead of road, where possible.

Large transport logistics companies already have integrated methods, but
smaller businesses especially trucking companies tend to use roads because
of habit, perceived convenience, in dependance etc. In fact
short-shipping-routes are cheaper, environmentally cleaner and allow for
new business opportunities. Ships can be a little slower than direct road,
but for many applications this does not matter if well organized.

The obstacles to changing habits are more cultural than technical though we
plan to use new technology as a transitional support tool where much
business is done today by phone and fax. 'Dolphins' thus needs to develop
easy-to-use interfaces allowing people to browse and select route/cost/time
options. Typically we imagine this sel4ection could be presented as
'tagged' dossier available to shipping agents to sped up the entire
process. Linking of forms etc would likely be a crucial component. The
resulting system is thus a classic case of developing something for
'customers who have customers who have customers'. IMHO Python.Zope fits
the bill nicely.

11. Followup
Please contact me directly *_off-list_* if you any of the above is of
interest to you.

Thanks.

- Jason

Jason Cunliffe  <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com>