[Zope] REMINDER: Keep technical discussions on zope-dev!

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:22:51 +0100

Hello
>On 10 Nov, Paul Everitt wrote:
[snip]

And At 11:06 10/11/99 -0500, Don Porter replied:
>What we have here is a failure to communicate.
>
>When I see a choice between two lists, zope and zope-dev, I assume
...[snip great post]

Yes thank you!

zope-dev is a very confusing name.

zope-dev implies 2 possible meaning to me:

a.- developers OF zope
ie = people changing the source, asking bug questions, ideas for clarifying
syntax etc.. developers of the tool itself

or

b.- developers working WITH zope
ie =  people who are using zope to develop zope-based applications

Don Porter proposes an excellent idea: break down the list with duplicates
copied off by content
DTML, Databases, ZClasses, ExternalMethods, etc.

The list is overwhelming and like many i spend a substantial part of my
morning going through messages, saving snippets in my Zope scrapbook,
compiling printouts. Even the best message header becomes unwieldy when
there is a hot thread. I am not complaining about the volume - this vibrant
community is one of the _best_ things about zope. But How best to manage it?

It occurs to me that by nature if its design , Zope deserves a smarter more
configurable way to handle its own growing mailing lists.

Wouldn't it be great if zope.org had a manager_mailsub interface to the
mail list subscription routing?

or perhaps a way to embed short DTML in the subject header or first line
which would allow the mail list method_engine to parse.
Would be a worthwhile experiment I think.

For those who abhor complexity or don't want to risk missing something, a
single zope-all@zope.org list could bundle everything.

- Jason
Jason Cunliffe  <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com>
NOMADICS.STUDIO(Design Director)