[Zope] strange path "feature"

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:48:18 -0500

From: Don Porter <dgporter@erols.com>

> Seems to me this is the dark side of acquisition.  It prevents you
> from having total control over what URIs your web site exports to the
> world.  All good web publishers know "Cool URIs don't change".
>
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html
>
> That ideal is difficult to achieve under normal circumstances, but it
> becomes near impossible when you lose control over what URIs you
> publish to the world, doesn't it?

    It is a tradeoff.  For the price of making resources available via
redundant addresses, you get the ability to do things like apply themes to
pages--

      http://acquisition.com/documents/boring.html

    --can also be available as--

      http://acquisition.com/themes/christmas/documents/boring.html

    In /themes/christmas you find a new standard_html_header which puts a
gaudy red and green theme on the text, and contains an /images folder with
christmas-oriented versions of the page decorations.  There might also be a
/themes/escher.  Silly example, but it demonstrates what you get out of the
deal.

Mike.