[Zope] Tracking Mailing Lists with Zope.

Nitin Borwankar nitin@borwankar.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:29:53 -0800

S Shah wrote:

> Sorry, something I am not clear about in regards to
> mailing lists...
>
> --- Paul Everitt <paul@digicool.com> wrote:
> > 1) Push the emails into Zope.  Subscribe an account
> > to the list.  When a
> > 2) Pull the emails into Zope.  Subscribe an account
> > to the list and make
>
> I am afraid I do not understand which account is
> reffered to in the phrase "subscribe an account to the
> list".

No you create a separate e-mail account or alias for
subscribing to the Zope list. This happens on your e-mail
server linux box.

This doesn't actually need to be an OS level account, just a sendmail
alias ( it doesn't alias anything, "alias" is what you call a
"pseudo-account" - it has an e-mail address but no OS level account ).

Set up the sendmail alias to pipe the mail to a script.
See Sendmail docs or O'Reilly book or even Mailman docs
to see how an alias is set up.

When the mail arrives it is piped to a script which invokes
Zope methods via HTTP or Python and uploads the mail message to a
previously created mail-database. You need to write the script,
create the db etc.

Hope this helps.

Nitin Borwankar.