[Zope] Zope database on a relational DB [Q]

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:36:49 -0500

Pavlos Christoforou wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Bruno Mattarollo wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> >     Is it possible to store the Zope database (Data.fs) into a relational one? For example an Oracle 8i? Would that be possible in the future? I mean, since you can export an object into XML and this is been integrated quite well (my opinion only) into Oracle 8i, it can be done, no?
>
> The Storage Part of ZODB is abstracted out of ZODB (as well as the rest of
> the components). It was done so as to enable different storage backends to
> ZODB. I suggest you take a look in the ZODB directory at the different
> example Storage modules provided. I have no idea how easy it would be to
> use Oracle as backend, but if you don't require versions I expect it would
> be manageable.

This is the right direction.  Check out lib/python/ZODB/dbmlstorage.py
and Ty Sarna's BerkelyStorage.  Given those two examples, and the other
types of storage examples, a relational storage should not be hard at
all.

-Michel