[Zope] Zope Startup Questions II (Son of Zope)

Ian Willis Ian.Willis@kfpw.com.au
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:47:07 +1100

It is more a limitation of the 32 bit chipset rather than a limitation
of the filesystem. 64 bit systems don't have this problem and a
journaling filesystem won't fix the problem. It was a design choice when
the filesystem was designed, disks were small and 64 bit systems were on
the horizon. I think thatIntel has done some fancy design work on the
Xeons so that that have 36 bit registers that are used for addressing
but it is basically a kludge( needs a nonstandard approach for just that
platform ). The software kludge is to create an extra layer in the
filesystem ( read slower ) design. There are patches round that do fix
this problem but the reason why it has not been incorporated into the
mainstream kernel is that it is bad (read nonstandard ) design. If you
are addressing files of this size I would look very seriously at a 64
bit system simply for performance reasons.