[Zope] ODBC - 1 step forward - woops I tripped

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:45:31 -0500

From: rgines@purina.com <rgines@purina.com>

<dtml-excerpt>
>My client runs IBMs' UDB 5 database engine on OS/2 Servers with
>NT clients (their choice not mine).   I'm a newbie with Zope and wanted to
>understand the ODBC very well before trying to tie into UDB5 (since
>my guess is that I am the first one stupid enough to try this).
>
>So I started with something real simple.   A text file with four columns
>and three records.
>
>I can create an ODBC connection through Zope with no problem.
>Going to the browse tab in the management screen actually
>shows me the table with the column definitions ... so I am getting
>from Zope, through the ODBC connector, through the WinNT
>ODBC drivers to the text file.  Cool!
>
>=======
>
>Now to do real work, I create a DTML Method with the following
>
>     <!--#var standard_html_header-->

>     <dtml-in ZopeODBCTest>
>       <dtml-var LAST_NAME>
>     </dtml-in>
>
>     <!--#var standard_html_footer-->

I tested this exact syntax on my system and it worked perfectly.  I'm running
Zope 2.01 on Windows95.  My database is SQLAnywhere version 5.  I am running a
4-user server database engine.  The query returned the column requested by my
select statement.

Forgive me for asking, but did you create a ZSQL method in addition to the
connection?  The "ZopeODBCTest" in your example must be the ZSQL method, not the
ZODBC Connection. The method contains your select statement.

Tom Passin

>Running the 'View' returns the following result
>
>Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
>
>           Error Type: AttributeError
>           Error Value: __len__

</dtml-excerpt>