[Zope] FYI: Zope Weekly News

Mike Pelletier mike@geekbox.metamike.net
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:13:27 -0500

    Hi, Amos.  Here's what I've done so far.  Only one mailing list done,
and I'll have to go over the last 24 hours again tomorrow, but hey, for now
on I can just compile it as I read my mail and it'll be easier.  At any
rate, I just want reasurance that I'm on the right track with style and
content.  I'm trying to highlight some of the more active or interesting
discussion threads as well as announcements.  Again, that will be easier
when I can add items to my LWN as they come in instead of catching up the
day before.  ;-)

Mike.

--

G'day,

    Zope Weekly News is a digest of some of the useful and interesting
site.

   XXX Zope 2.1b2

  * Francois-Regis CHALAOUX posed a question about using Zope with virtual
hosting.  Several useful responses were generated.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013678.html
    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013688.html

  * The discussion of DTML syntax goes on (and on and...).  Light is cast on
some of DTML's darker corners, and some trouble spots are highlighted.  Paul
Everitt writes in to say he is following the thread with great interest.  He
would like to see DTML improved and requests a summary by someone who has a
handle on in.  The request is repeated by many, but fulfilled by none.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013710.html

  * Darcy Clark alerts the list of Jon Udell's latest article mentioning
Zope.  Jon's article discusses the ease of using Zope with Windows
databases, the pain of using it with Unix databases, ODBC, and the lack of a
similar magic bullet for Unix.  The thread then continues to discuss the
merits of various free databases and using them with Zope.

    http://www.byte.com/column/BYT19991104S0001
    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013711.html

    Also, Karl Fast does an excellent job of summerizing the thread,
generating more sage comments.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013762.html
    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013812.html
    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013813.html
    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013840.html

  * Ben Galbraith submited a comparison of Zope and Cold Fusion and
solicited comments.  Some of the usual suspects offer theirs.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013730.html

  * Otto Hammersmith started a thread about Zope and security.  In it, he
speaks of some of the security pitfalls that unsuspecting Zope users could
experience.  Brian Lloyd submits some solutions.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013779.html

  * Paul Everitt wrote in to remind people that there is a zope-dev@zope.org
list for technical discussions.  A brisk discussion developed to debate what
constituted a technical discussion.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013796.html

  * Theodore Patrick launched a lengthy thread with questions about the
effect of threading in Zope.  A number of folks from Digital Creations
provide answers.  The discussion moves on with high volume and content to
the topics of benchmarking and performance tuning Zope.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013808.html

  * Paul Everitt announces Sybase support in a joint press release.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013946.html
    http://www.digicool.com/News/Sybase

  * Jeffrey P Shell announces ZLDAP 1.0b1, an acl_users replacement.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/013980.html
    http://www.zope.org/Members/jshell/ZopeLDAP/

  * Farzad Farid revives the uncacheable image thread.  Because Acquisition
can lead to different URLs being generated for images when viewed from
various locations, it makes caching difficult and can generate excessive
traffic.  Others offer advice to solve his problem.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/014021.html

  * Itamar Shtull-Trauring announces ZCache v0.2.  ZCache is a Python
Product which allows you to cache expensive methods, taking strain off your
server.  It also generates 'Last-Modified' headers, aiding browser and proxy
caches.

    http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-November/014115.html
    http://www.zope.org/Members/itamar/ZCache