[Zope] Question for those who have used Oracle/Zope : which OS worksbest ?best ?

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 21:59:17 -0500

chas wrote:
> It seems that the DCOracle connector needs SQLNet (from
> the Oracle client) to be installed. Since Oracle has not
> been ported to FreeBSD, this means I have to look for
> a new OS for this project.  In addition, I have noticed
> a lot of posts from people having problems integrating
> Oracle/DCOracle/Zope.

Really?  We've not had any major complaints that weren't do to the
infinate variations that Oracle introduces into each platform... you
have to figure out the libraries anew each time.  And 8i is totally
different than 8.0.5 which we use for development.  Alas.  We do our
best to keep up with it.

As a "FreeBSD advocate" you might try using the 3.3 Linux emulation to
get the libraries working, it *should* work, and I can provide some
pointers at least.  I've heard tell of Oracle working under 3.3 with
emulations, so I'm sure just the libraries will work.

> I really want to concentrate on the web application and
> not waste days/weeks fiddling with Oracle connectors
> or SQLNet (with Oracle 7.x on NT I remember this could be
> troublesome to set up). ie. Ideally, it'd work right "out
> the box".

Well, um, then get rid of Oracle :-)

> Which OS would you recommend as the Zope webserver in
> this case ?

This should be a corporate decision.  You have to support it.  FreeBSD
runs rock solid with Zope, so does Linux, Solaris and others.

Chris