[Zope] Global Interpreter Lock and four processors...

Petru Paler ppetru@coltronix.com
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:48:52 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Tony McDonald wrote:

> Hi all,
> We have a four processor Sun box (each processor scores about 2400
> pystones, whereas a 500 MHz P3 gets about 5400 pystones).
>
> I have three zope installations running, one of which is hosting
> three subsites. If I create four *binary* installations of Zope
> (complete with the thread-safe MySQL adaptor and all the other python
> libraries necessary to run a Zope site), will I run into the global
> interpreter lock?
>
> What I'm saying is if I *don't* use /usr/local/bin/python for my Zope
> installations, but instead rely on ZOPE_HOME/bin/python, will I be
> able to spread my Zope sites out over the four processors, or is
> there a nasty sting in the tail in doing this?

   The interpreter lock is per-process, so if you are using separate Zope
instances they won't bother each other. You don't even have to use
different binaries -- /usr/local/bin/python will work fine *if* you spawn
different Zopes.

-Petru