[Zope] [Q] My own editor?

Thomas Riedl Tom.Riedl@linux-ag.de
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:24:47 +0100

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 10:48:35PM -0600, Stephen Pitts wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 09:54:00PM -0600, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
> > > How can I export a DTML method file, so that I can add it again?
> > > Background: I want to use my own editor, as the webbrowser's
> > > text window usually is a real bad editor.
You could possibly use Emacs and it's FTP-on-the-fly features. Since
I'm a bonehead Emacsist, that's my way of doing it. Well, mostly I
mumble and curse with the Text widget interface....

> > > Another question: Would it not be advantagous only recreate a page, when
> > > the source objects change and trigger that creation? Most pages could
> > > just be cached this way. Or does Zope that already?
> > As your DTML gets more complex, it would become more and more
> > difficult for Zope to determine when/if it needs to be
> > reexecuted.
>
> It is object orientated and the objects know each other.
> If they are bidirectionally linked, someone could create a queue for
> each page. Each queue gets a timer value (like 30 Seconds).
> As soon as one object, this page depends on is changed, it
> schedules the page for rebuilding. When the page is called, it gets
> rebuild, if the queue flag is set and it was more than 30 seconds ago.
>
> Doesn't seem too hard to me at first glance. <wink>

Well, upon first glance: Could be.
Just keep in mind that you can have computed dependencies, like
referencing documents based upon runtime evaluated criteria,
and you'll see that the very problem of checking 'what depends on
which' is actually evaluating all and everything. IMHO this is
a dead ringer for a Turing problem which means as much as 'To know
what it will do when run you have to run it and watch'.

A 'solution' like any arbitrary timer just isn't one:
Imagine some changes on "important" properties like 'price' and
'amount' and 'sum', and then having to wait for those changes
to 'settle' until all associated 'rebuild timer chains' have
been rattled...
I wouldn't trust such a system farther than I possibly could
spit it ;-)

Just my 0.02 ($§*@ Damn Euro symbol!)

--
MfG: Tom Riedl