[Zope] Syntax

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 16:22:08 +0800

Picasso,

I hear you and I'm with you all the way on this one.

>MyFoderA
>    MyFolderB
>        MyDTMLMethod
>        <dtml-var "PARENTS[0]">
>results:
>Zope Error
>Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
>
>Resource not found
>
>Sorry, the requested Zope resource does not exist.
>Check the URL and try again.
>****************************
>
>I expected something like: <Folder instance at 01AE5340>.
>Maybe it's not a very useful Method, but I try to understand.

I would have expected the same.

>Many times, writing very basic script I came across with this kind of
problem.

I calculated that last week I wasted over 2 hours each and every day
due to things not doing what I expected them to do - and worse still
I can't understand exactly why the errors occur.
9 times out of 10 it's due to acquisition.

>I dont understand and feel really stupid.

Not that it's any consolation but I think there are a boatload of us :)

>I read comments about the learning curve. Some said that it's better to
>know python. I know python, I never feel stupid with python. I usually
>understand when I make a mistake.

Precisely - and that's so important.

>A more complete reference documentation and step by step tutorial would be
>nice. As I understand it, DC primary targets are massive Web Sites. On the
>other side there are developpers that work on the source or can afford
>spending a lot of time reading it.
>
>Maybe there are also programmers or small and middle sized businesses that
>would like to use Zope to build their Web application but need a good
>documentation.

Actually, I would say that Zope (and hence DC) targets websites of all sizes.
I've seen only small-to-medium public sites being built with Zope so far.

>I am one them, and surely I would pay for a good documentation. Has DC or
>anyone else, planned to ship this kind of service: A CLEAR DOCUMENTATION.

Well, I think they all realise this and people are working on it.
One thing I would add though : in pure Python, the tracebacks are very
good and, as you mentioned, it's easy to see where you went wrong. This
is most important : making mistakes is good if you learn from them !
But most the time with problems like you describe, I find that I just keep
messing around with stuff like DTML-WITH and PARENTS until it works, and
it's mainly by fluke. Hence the repeated waste of time.

Hang in there dude - there are other Python guys who are struggling with
this too. I know, that's not a consolation when your code is blowing up
and you don't know why, but things'll get better (I hope).

chas