[Zope] Squishdot vs KMNews

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:43:20 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: picasso@videotron.ca <picasso@videotron.ca>
To: zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>
Date: Sunday, October 03, 1999 7:55 PM
Subject: [Zope] Squishdot vs KMNews

>I tried to use Squishdot and it was very easy to setup. I'm trying now to
>look after something more customizable, "object oriented" and powerful.
>
>I was wondering if KMNews could address these needs. Or is it something
>very different? Do you know some sites using KMNews?

A sample site running KMNN is the site that I wrote it for:
http://www.byproducts.com
A site that is running a modified KMNN is: http://www.mountainwest.org

I really should release the code running there, because it is a slightly
bug-corrected version of the one that is on the Zope site now.

So far, most people have been using KMNN less as a news product and more as
an example of how to get some things done with ZClasses. Because it is
implemented in ZClasses, it is quite easy to modify. (That is, once you grok
ZClasses.)

One MAJOR thing that Squishdot does that KMNN does not is provide a
mechanism for discussion of the news topics. If it is important to have a
slashdot sort of thing going, you should probably stick with Squishdot. I
have considered adding hooks to Confera topics to KMNN, but this has been a
low priority compared to other things on my plate.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Kevin