[Zope] Turn static HTML dynamic?

Chris McDonough chris@iqgroup.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:11:40 -0400

I developed an intranet application using Zope that allows member users to
"publish" any sort of document to their "department" by uploading it via
HTTP.  So if your users are comfortable using Word, they can "publish" Word
documents to their area, likewise they can publish HTML, etc.  They use what
they're comfortable with while producing content, and Zope is only the
container.. There's also news, and a search function.

The app is half-good, half-horrible because it was my first genuine effort
at producing anything whatsoever with Zope, so it doesnt make good use of Z
Classes in per-department functions.  I had hoped to revise it, but other
things came up.

Please email me if you'd like to see it (I have to find out if there's
anything supersensitive on the site now, otherwise I'll give you a username
and password).  If you like it, I can probably just "clean" it and send you
my Data.fs.

- C

-----Original Message-----
From: User Webteam
To: zope@zope.org
Sent: 10/11/99 8:18 AM
Subject: [Zope] Turn static HTML dynamic?

Hi!

We´re thinking about using Zope for our University website. Now we face
following problem:
We need a simple solution for people who don´t want to care about DTML
to publish their documents using Composer or similar WYSIWYG tools.
These documents should be rendered with some standard HTML-code
(navigation and the like). Is there any possibility to do this without
having to teach everyone <dtml-var> etc.? We tested various things
(access rules) but in the best case we end up with nested <html> tags.
Unfortunately, we have no python experts here and we´re not learning
fast enough to present a solution within time.

Some background info: we have to ensure that virtually erveryone here
has a simple way to put information on the net. Most of these people
have little or no HTML knowledge but use Composer, HotMetal or even word
to create their documents. So it seems unacceptable to our bosses to
bother anyone with manipulating sources. We would really like to use
Zope because of its great management features, user management and
expandibility (and its price ;-), so any hints would be highly
appreciated.

Chris
--
Webteam der Uni Bielefeld