[Zope] ZCatalog, CatalogAware, and ZClasses

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:49:54 +0200

At 23:28 13/10/99 , gtk wrote:
> > In your container class' constructor (MyContainerClass_add), you can
>programatically
> > create a ZCatalog instance as a subobject, and setup its indexes and
>metadata
> > automatically.
>
>Cute technique!
>
>I tried deriving a ZClass from ZCatalog to do the column and index
>management itself -- the idea was that I could update all of the
>FnordCatalogs' designs and methods just by touching one object -- but for
>some reason it runs right into a wall. Yell if you can read tracebacks; I
>can reproduce it pretty damn quickly.
>
> > > Uh, fine. At the moment, I'm only editing my Fnords via their Properties
> > > view. How do I doctor the view so that index_object is called?
> >
> > Havn't got that far yet - my objects are static though so that is for
> > a future project :-) You will probably need to write your own form
> > that submits the results to a DTML method that calls index_object and
> > manage_editProperties.
>
>Oh, so I can't use views if I want to do that kind of thing?

I have a project in development right now that uses a ZClass based on
ZCatalog and ObjectManager. Works great.

In it I have one ZClass that inherits from CatalogAware, and with some
twiddling in the constructor methods instances of the CatalogAware classes
are indexing themselves in the container ZClass just fine.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer