[Zope] The name ZOPE (was RE: [Zope] Linux.com community ad)

Evan Gibson egibson@connect.com.au
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:37:52 +1000

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 11:23:44PM -0400, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>  > Am I alone in this thought?
> No, you are not.  My company have almost committed to using ZOPE, but
> one thing we had to overcome was distrust of the name.  Somehow
> "StoryServer" seems to convey more than "zope".  Fortunately, we've
> overcome the name prejudice.

The problem of a world conditioned by marketing...

For me the knee-jerk response goes the other way... I distrust
advertising to the extent that the flashier and better the name the
less I'm tempted to even _look_ at the option. I expect well advertised
and marketed products to be useless piles of fluff or to (best case) have
been forced to release at least 3 months before they were ready and
consequently be bug-ridden and unusable for the forseeable future.

Zope is a good name. It's getting pushed by people who use it and have
found it useful, not by marketing hype or fake (paid for) reviews.

Zope is a much better name than Bobo.

--
  Evan ~ThunderFoot~ Gibson    ~ nihil mutatem, omni deletum ~
      May the machines watch over you with loving grace.