[Zope] Future of Zope

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:24:03 -0400

> Doesn't Java (as a pretty much universally accepted client side
> language) figure in this anywhere?  Would it really be that
> difficult to
> create a Java conduit to the Zope database?  It could support the
> various permissions based access and stuff, and then support
> plugins for
> editing the different types of object.  In this manner, say,
> the makers
> of SquishDot could create a custom SquishDot editor plugin, and such
> like.  I will freely admit that I haven't looked at the Zope Database
> too closely, but is this feasible or am I talking rubbish?

No, you're not talking rubbish. I should probably clarify the
viewpoint from which I'm speaking. At this point in time, we
here at _DC_ have no plans to do a Java interface. While it is
something we've noodled from time to time, it is more attractive
to us from a business standpoint to investigate other areas that
fit better and provide more "bang for the buck" in terms of our
resources and strategic direction.

So we are not "against Java" or anything, but it's not something
that currently fits in the strategic grand scheme of things for
Digital Creations. My own opinion is that this should be considered
an _opportunity_ by Java folks. We encourage the community to make
Zope into the tool they need. So certainly it is feasible, and I
suspect that there would be valuable lessons in doing the analysis
and design that would benefit the Zope architecture.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909