[Zope] The name ZOPE (was RE: [Zope] Linux.com community ad)

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 13:14:17 -0400

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 03:05:48AM -0500, Tad Murphy wrote:
> Any manager, or anyone for that matter, that makes a decision based on the
> name
> of a product is a moron.

And the difference between that and reality _is_?  :-)

> | SOAP would be the only thing to really confuse it with. Haven't heard much
> | talk about SOAP interacting with XML-RPC in Zope, or how Zope might
> | implement SOAP later. This confusion should generally help Zope, though,
> not
> | hurt it.
>
> And my opinion on SOAP is simply Microsoft trying to reinvent the wheel. I
> read the specs and it looks an awful like XML-RPC or WDDX... not sure why
> you would want to use it...

Extensive, albeit biased, commentary on this can be found at
www.scripting.com.  Dave Winer seems a bit too trusting of MS, IMAO.

But then, he and I don't get along well anyway.  I could show you the
kilobytes of cuss-mail... but why bother.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592