[Zope] help! zope start failure on linux

Chris McDonough chris@iqgroup.com
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:59:36 -0400

Mike,

Hi...

What port are you trying to bind Zope to?  8080?  Or one under 1024?  And
how are you starting Zope?

If you're trying to bind to a port under 1024 (such as port 80), you'll need
to start Zope as root.

- C

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Salib
To: zope@zope.org
Sent: 10/16/99 9:38 PM
Subject: [Zope] help! zope start failure on linux

hi everybody,
i'm running Zope 2 under RedHat Linux 5.2
Every time I start Zope now, I get this error:

  File "/home/mike/Zope-2.0.1-linux2-x86/z2.py", line 430, in ?
    logger_object=lg)
  File "/home/mike/Zope-2.0.1-linux2-x86/ZServer/medusa/http_server.py",
line 53
4, in __init__
    self.bind ((ip, port))
  File "/home/mike/Zope-2.0.1-linux2-x86/ZServer/medusa/asyncore.py",
line 205,
in bind
    return self.socket.bind (addr)
socket.error: (13, 'Permission denied')

I'm not a unix newbie; i've been using unix for years. I know about
basic file permission security. I've performed the following commands
with no effect:

chown nobody.nobody var
chown nobody.nobody var/*
chmod ago+rwx var
chmod ago+rwx var/*

I've verified that the var directory itself and all the files contained
therein are owned by user nobody and group nobody and that everything is
readable, writeable, and executable by user, group and all.

I've also tried repeatedly deleting the pid files in the var directory.

months. Other people have reported this problem, but some still can't
seem to get it working. If anyone could suggest what I'm doing wrong
here, please do!

Thanks a lot,
Mike

--
"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

For developer-specific issues, zope-dev@zope.org -