[Zope] help! zope start failure on linux

Chris McDonough chris@iqgroup.com
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:52:13 -0400

Hmmmm...

As I understand it, when you start Zope's web server frontend (medusa) in an
out of the box config, it spawns seven processes (you can see the processes
and their owners by doing a ps -aux).

The first process will show its owner as the user which you use to start
Zope.  The other six processes will be owned by the "nobody" user if started
as root.  If you start Zope as a nonroot user, all of the threads will be
owned by that user.  I think :).

Make sure you have a nobody user defined in /etc/passwd.  Alternately, you
can change the user that the "nonroot" medusa processes run under by editing
the z2.py file in the root Zope installation directory (check for the line
UID='nobody' and change it to what you want).

Good luck!

- C