[Zope] The name ZOPE (was RE: [Zope] Linux.com community ad)

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm@integral.org
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 05:20:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Tad Murphy wrote:

> > As one of the people who had trouble convincing management that "Zope"
> > was a serious program, let me also weigh in with an anecdote about the
> > worth of the name.  A co-worker told his wife about "Zope" and she
> > agreed that the name was stupid.  Then he mentioned the competition:
> > "StoryServer", "AOLServer" and "SilverStream".  She said "Zope is the
> > best name of the bunch."

	Well, ZOPE does stand for Z Object Publishing Environment,
so if you don't like 'ZOPE' you could always just call it 'Z'

> | SOAP would be the only thing to really confuse it with. Haven't heard much
> | talk about SOAP interacting with XML-RPC in Zope, or how Zope might
> | implement SOAP later. This confusion should generally help Zope, though,
> not
> | hurt it.
>
> And my opinion on SOAP is simply Microsoft trying to reinvent the wheel. I
> read the specs and it looks an awful like XML-RPC or WDDX... not sure why
> you would want to use it...

	Actually, IIRC SOAP _is_ XML-RPC.  Or more accurately XML-RPC is
an early draft version of SOAP. The same guy created both of them. He came
up with the idea, and ran it past Microsoft to get some support. They
thought it interesting fer awhile, and he did some development. Then
Microsoft lost interest, and the author took the early version of SOAP,
renamed it XML-RPC and released it. Awhile later Microsoft suddenly got
interested again, did more development and/or mangling on the spec and
released is as SOAP. there's a page somewhere on www.xmlrpc.org that
explains it.

	-The Dragon De Monsyne