[Zope] Programmatically adding and deleting indexes in a ZCat alog

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:43:44 -0400

ObjectDomain, actually (http://www.objectdomain.com/).

> Can you tell us what problems this product has, and is there
> an alternative
> that's better?

We've used OD and Rational Rose.  I can't comment on RR since I haven't
used it, other than Jim has told me that OD is better at visualizing UML
than RR (which is surprising, since the three authors of UML work for
Rational).  OD is also much cheaper than RR, and Rational has all kinds
of 'support' and 'process' products that get you for more money if you
go for it.

OD could be a great application, but it has serious problems.  Nothing
too serious that couldn't be fixed with a decent alpha/beta cycle (or an
open sourcing! ;)  My beef with OD is that it's just *not* final
software like they say it is.  It could barely be called beta software.
Today alone, it has caused me more grief than Microsoft Outlook!

If they would fix these bugs and make some other improvements, I would
recommend their software.  They are responsive with their technical
support and are allways helpful with our problems.  We met them at
LinuxExpo this year (where they had a demo running on NT :/) and they
are a pretty small company and very friendly.

-Michel

PS.  This email represents my personal opinion and not any kind of
official statement from Digital Creations about either ObjectDomain or
Rational Rose.