[Zope] Newbie MySQLDA help

Nick Garcia ngarcia@codeit.com
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:48:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Darcy Clark wrote:

> After a frustrating afternoon of getting nowhere I turn to the list for help.
>
> I am trying to get Zope, MySQL and MySQLDA installed. I am a relative
> newbie to Linux and Zope, but I can follow instructions like a champion.
>
> First observation - Digital Creations seems to have depreciated support
> for MySQLDA. I did find the DA at the old site : http://www.zope.org:8080/Download/ZMySQLDA
>
> Unfortunately, the instructions at the above URL seem a little strange
> in that half way through it starts referring to ZSolidDA ? In any case,'
> make -f Makefile.pre.in boot' doesn't work. I get the same error
> reported by another user [see http://www.egroups.com/list/zope/md78304253.html]

When you run make -f Makefile.pre.in boot you should be in the
ZMySQLDA/src directory.  I don't know if the documentation specifies that
or not.  In any case, I would actually continue on with what you were
trying to do here:

> So then I tried another tack : installing the MySQLdb package from
> http://starship.python.net/crew/adustman/ which seems to include a patch
> to MySQLDA. So I unpack a fresh copy of Zope2.01, unpack MySQLDA 1.1.3.
> I don't install or make anything figuring I should apply all the patches
> before I install anything. I then try to run "python build.py" from the
> MySQLdb package. Unfortunately, the MySQLdb installation instructions
> are a little brief. In any case I get an error
> "/usr/lib/python1.5/config/MakeFile.pre.in: no such file or directory
> exists", which is no surprise because it doesn't exist. Do I have to
> create this directory ? Where should I unpack the MySQLdb package ?

It looks like you need the Python development libraries.  If you're
running RedHat you need to get the python-devel package and install that.
Or, you can install python from source and compile it yourself.  After
that everything should work ok.

Because the instructions for upgrading ZMySQLDA are kind of vague, I'm
going to add a few point here for you.  After you've succesfully run
build.py and done what it's asked of you, you need to patch ZMySQLDA.  The
problem you were having before was with compiling the MySQL module that
ZMySQLDA includes, so you don't need to worry about any of that anymore.
MySQLdb comes with a file called ZMySQLDA.patch, this contains the
instructions to modify a couple of python source files in ZMySQLDA.  To
apply the patch you need to go to your Zope directory (mine is
/usr/local/Zope-2.0.1-src/) and give it the command patch -p1 <
/path/to/your/ZMySQLDA.patch.

And that's it!  You should be able to start (or restart) your Zope Server
and everything should work.

> Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

If you need any more help, let me know.  I just got this all working a few
hours ago, so it's all still fresh.

CodeIt Computing | http://codeit.com