[Zope] Integration with other application servers

Bjorn Stabell Bjorn Stabell <bjorn@stabell.priv.no>
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:43:12 +0800

Hi there,

I've followed the SiteServer/ASP vs. Zope discussion, and I have a
variant of it.  It's pretty obvious that with SiteServer you're in
Microsoft land.  How about application servers that mainly implement
their logic through servlets and java server pages (JSP)?  I see these
solutions as more open than Microsoft's.

I'm not exactly looking at a pros and cons evaluation between Zope and
other Java-centric application servers, but rather if it makes sense,
and if so how, to make them work together.  By the very nature that
we're doing work with IBM, I'd like to know how (if any) tight an
integration I could get between Zope and IBM WebSphere.  Would it make
sense to use them together?  Could Zope be bytecompiled with JPython
and run on a Java application server?

Zope as it stands, independent, proud, is a tough sell to anyone that
has standardized on other middle-ware.  If it could run closely
together with other middle-ware, it'll be much easier to sell.

I was thinking an ideal solution would be to have the option of using
Zope at the topmost layer to glue together dynamic webpages, supported
by a more standard middle-ware (like Java-centric application servers)
that would again provide access to other systems, like Lotus Notes,
Net.Commerce, SAP, legacy systems, etc...  Besides the "nonstandard
middle-ware = tough sell" argument, it does make sense that more
systems would provide interfaces into a more standardized middle-ware
layer.

Bye,
--
Bjorn Stabell <bjorn@stabell.priv.no>