[Zope] Editing downloaded + installed product?

Stefan Hoffmeister Stefan.Hoffmeister@Econos.de
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 18:24:52 +0200

: On Wed, 20 Oct 99 23:36:59 -0500, Jeff Rush wrote:

>If you edit a Python zproduct, yes, you -will- have to restart
>the Zope server, again, and again and again.

(Re)starting ZServer takes about 18 seconds on my development NT4 system
(192 MB, 540 Mhz overclocked Celeron). I somehow feel that this is an a
tad bit inappropriate time lag.

Is Linux (or any other platform) any better in this respect? Is there any
way to speed up this cycle?

Assume, for instance, that I need to hot-fix some problem in
WhatEver_Python_Product - in contrast to "just" reloading the product
shutting down the whole server is a tad bit too much, don't you think?

>Python zproduct development should definitely be done
>on a non-production server for this reason.

Is there any other way? :-)