[Zope] How quickly does zope respond.

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 15:59:57 +0200

I am wondering how fast zope responds for others, and what tips you have to
improve regular performance (hardware, software, config).

When you start with a fresh Zope install, how many seconds (from mouse
click) does it take:

1. To boot	Zope
2. To enter the manage interface
2. To open index_html
3. To save the changes
4. To View this
5. Ditto for image uploads (say with 8K, 32K, and 64k Jpegs)

What's your best?
What's your worst?

Can you suggest an approach to build in this kind of local-action
performance checking via a DTML method which uses timestamps comparison.
For example a method which I can toggle on and off at different levels of
the hierarchy to create a history file of certain actions. Does this
already exist?

I've am testing Zope on two 'minimal platform PCs to check performance I
can expect for clients in an upcoming project who I know will _not_ have
the latest and best systems. My two current 'test' machines are:

1. P5-150Mhz,64Mb, Win95b
2. P233mhzmmx, 32mb, Win95b -laptop

I've been experimenting with these in 3 ways: with Zope local to each
machine, over a small ethernet LAN and remote over 56k modem to hosted Zope
site (codeit).

This is the other 'end' of the discussion I've been following about server
performance.

Thanks

- Jason

Jason Cunliffe  <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com>